My Ten Favorite Communication Quotes
- "One cannot not communicate." Paul Watzlawick, Janet Beavin and Don Jackson
- “Every communication has a content and relationship level…” Paul Watzlawick, Janet Beavin and Don Jackson
- “The belief that one's own view of reality is the only reality is the most dangerous of all delusions.” Paul Watzlawick
- Effective communication depends on the “acknowledgement of differences” in perception. William Haney (In other words, “There is no such thing as an immaculate perception” – Jonah Lehrer)
- “Human thinking depends on metaphor” Jonathan Haidt
- “Dissonance is a noxious state.” Leon Festinger
- "If ... [we] define situations as real , they are real in their consequences." W.I. Thomas
- “You persuade a man (sic) only insofar as you can talk his language…identifying your ways with his.” Kenneth Burke
- “People in interactions move together in a kind of dance [unaware].” Edward Hall
- “Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun, I take culture to be those webs.” Clifford Geertz
My top ten quotations hold these qualities for me:
- When I first met them I saw communication in a new way.
- They are written in a way that is easily remembered.
- Hearing them is like hearing a good, old song.
I give special credit to Paul Watzlawick and The Pragmatics of Human Communication for providing three entries on the list.